Saturday 23 July 2011

True colours?














I hold my hand up and confess that when I heard the news of the killings in Norway yesterday, I thought "Muslims". I was shocked this morning to hear Anders Behring Breivik, the 32-year-old suspect in Friday's attacks, described as "a fundamentalist Christian".

The first comment on the "Freethinker" website came from "Miltz": "Still at least we see the christian community showing their true colours".

Breivik's Twitter account, however, has only has one post, a quote from Utilitarian philosopher John Stuart Mill: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests."

His Facebook page apparently reveals very little about him except an interest in libertarianism and a clear belief in the power of the individual. As far as I can tell, there are no quotes from Christ.

So why does the media insist Breivik is a "Christian" instead of a libertarian or a disciple of J S Mill?

Can't you guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment